If you’re looking for tips on how SEO can help your tech company, you’ve come to the right place. Perhaps you want to know how to grow website traffic. Maybe you’re no novice when it comes to search engine optimization, and you want a cheat sheet on SEO best practices for reference. Below are five SEO tips for tech companies on optimizing content and enhancing your ROI.
- Know your audience. Before you can optimize your website content, you need to have a clear understanding of who you are trying to reach and what they want to know. What would be top of mind for your target audience? What problems are they trying to solve? What information can you provide that would be most engaging or helpful? Google AdWords has a free keyword planner tool you can use to look at search volumes for search terms.
- Keep your site meaty. For search engine crawl bots to get a good idea about a) what the webpage is about and b) how credible the source is, there needs to be enough content on a page. We recommend a 450-word minimum. The content also needs to have substance; 450 words with generic, marketing jargon-filled content will leave crawl bots clueless about your content. Aim for specific, relevant information that is ultimately useful to your audience — and to search engine crawls. It’s also important to ask yourself, “What is the call to action” for each page you write. Is it to pick up the phone or send an email? Is it to download a whitepaper for more information? Or is it to click on a button to watch a video with more information? By placing a clear, thoughtful call to action on every page, you’re improving the user experience of your site and directing your traffic where you want it to go next.
- Make keywords front and center. You may already have informative, targeted content written up, but how does it get seen by the right people? You need to include keywords that your intended audience would search for when using a search engine like Google or Bing. For instance, if you are an IoT platform provider, you will want to make sure you use the phrase “IoT platform” several times throughout the copy and in the metadata of the page. Aim for 3-4 uses of the keyword, and make sure to use it in headlines and subheads. Of all the SEO tips for tech companies, it’s essential to any SEO strategy to guarantee that your keywords are in the content.
- Don’t forget the “invisible” content. Besides writing the content that site visitors and crawl bots will read, it’s also important to consider SEO-friendly metadata — the copy that works on optimizing your site behind the scenes. This includes writing a targeted page title and meta description (which will show up as excerpts during search results), clear h1- and h2-tagged headlines with the right keyword, and an SEO-friendly URL.
- Don’t become a slave to the process. Ultimately, SEO is supposed to help the right eyes fall on your website. SEO was made for man, not the other way around, so start your content strategy with thinking of how you can help your customers first. Optimizing your content should not render your copy useless by making it completely unreadable by human beings. People also hate feeling like they’re marketed to. Striking a balance between optimization and usefulness is what makes search engine optimization an art, not just a science.
You may have more questions beyond these 5 SEO tips for tech companies, like “How much should I spend on SEO services?” and “What other online marketing tips should I follow?” Whether you’d like to work with SEO experts like the ones we have on the Sterling team, or if you’re just trying to get a better understanding of what you should be doing for your own tech company, reach out. We want to help.